Every year on August 26, people throughout the world celebrate International Dog Day to promote dog ownership and adoption. In India, the custom of adopting stray dogs is becoming more popular. Street dogs, which may be seen in neighbourhoods, are remarkably intelligent, quick learners, and even good jogging partners. Dogs are known as man’s best friend because of the deep link that exists between people and them that transcends breed variations.
Additionally, this day provides a forum for bringing important dog-related concerns to light, such as animal abuse, homelessness, and the importance of spaying and neutering to control pet numbers. Many loving, active, and lovable dogs may be found in shelters and rescues waiting patiently for their future homes. This unofficial holiday, which is also known as World Dog Day or National Dog Appreciation Day, raises awareness about dog adoption and the critical duty of providing rescued canines with secure, loving settings.
How To Celebrate International Dog Day 2023
On this day, people all around the world engage in a variety of activities to demonstrate their affection for their four-legged friends. This may involve hosting pet-friendly activities, taking their dogs for special walks, posting pictures and tales about their dogs on social media with the hashtag #InternationalDogDay, and giving money to animal shelters and rescue groups.
Here are some tips on how to celebrate International Dog Day 2023:
1. Quality Time: Spend quality time with your furry friend. Take them for an extra-long walk, play their favorite games, and give them plenty of attention and love.
2. Special Treats: Treat your dog with their favorite treats or even make homemade dog-friendly treats for them to enjoy.
3. Photo Session: Have a fun photo session with your dog. Capture their adorable moments and share them on social media using the hashtag #InternationalDogDay.
4. Pampering Session: Give your dog a spa day with a relaxing bath, grooming, and a gentle massage.
5. Donate or Volunteer: Support local animal shelters or rescue organizations by donating supplies, funds, or your time. You can also volunteer to walk or play with dogs waiting for their forever homes.
6. Adopt or Foster: If you’ve been considering adopting a dog, this could be the perfect day to bring a new furry family member home. Alternatively, consider fostering a dog temporarily.
7. Spread Awareness: Use this day to educate others about responsible dog ownership, the importance of adopting from shelters, and animal welfare issues.
8. Cuddle Time: Spend the evening cuddling with your dog, watching a dog-friendly movie, or reading a book.
How to Legally Adopt a Dog?
- Find a rescue or a dog shelter close by.
- Visit the shelter and make an effort to connect with the dog there.
- Obtain the dog’s health history and documents.
- Follow the necessary and appropriate processes.
- Complete the adoption proceses.
- Look for a rescue or a neighborhood dog shelter.
- Make a trip to the shelter to get to know the dog.
- Obtain the dog’s medical history and documents.
- Observe the required steps.
- Complete the adoption documentation
Some books and movies for International Dog Day
Here are some books and movies centered around dogs that you might enjoy:
1. “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein: A dog named Enzo narrates this novel, delving into his bond with his owner. The owner is a race car driver. It’s a heartfelt story about friendship, loyalty, and the human-dog connection.
2. “A Dog’s Purpose” by W. Bruce Cameron: This novel explores the concept of a dog’s reincarnation and follows a dog’s journey through several lives, teaching valuable lessons to different owners along the way.
3. “Hachiko Waits” by Lesléa Newman: Based on a true story, this book tells the tale of Hachiko, a loyal Akita dog in Japan who continued to wait for his deceased owner at a train station for years.
1. “Lassie” (1994): A remake of the classic tale, this movie follows the adventures of a loyal Rough Collie named Lassie as she helps her human family in times of need.
4. “Bolt” (2008): This animated film features a dog named Bolt who believes he has superpowers due to his role in a TV show. He gets lost in the real world. Then embarks on an adventure to find his owner.
5. “A Dog’s Purpose” (2017): Based on the book mentioned earlier. This movie follows a dog named Bailey as he is reincarnated multiple times. He forms meaningful connections with different owners.